What can we do to relax when we are supposed to stay at home? Game together of course!
With the restrictions on gathering offline, the only option we had for any activities was online. There were a lot of considerations and planning done to make sure if the events bonded the players meaningfully and of course very fun.
After much consideration and support from our partners #SGPlaysTogether (an initiative by SGEA) and The Gym, we decided to launch #SGPlaysTogether TeleMatch DOTA 2, an online community competition for casual DOTA 2 players. We managed to gather 10 teams and we even heard that one of the teams was formed via our DOTA 2 SOOS group! It was the first time that they played with each other and decided to make things work together.
To be honest, the major concern we had was whether there were casters for TeleMatch. We tried looking for aspiring casters and there were none! We were so close to streaming just the game camera when some of the participants offered to cast the games even though it might be their first time.
We only had three main rules for casting:
- Be positive and encouraging. (If the caster has an opinion about the play, explain the situation and share how it could be improved)
- Be yourself
- and have lots of fun
And that was how we started with our #biasedcasters series! Surprisingly, many players tuned in to our Twitch channel, encouraging the teams and casters. We ended up receiving lots of requests from players if they could try casting!
Watch the VODs out below and see how the games and casting turned out! Check the scores of the teams here.
Group Stages: Group 1 on 30 May 2020
Group Stages: Group 2 on 31 May 2020
Semi-Finals and Finals: 6-7 Jun 2020
During the breaks of the semi-finals and finals, we invited professional casters to share more about what they do and give encouragement to aspiring players and casters. We also included interviews with both teams after the games are played.
Last but not least, to end with words of encouragement for the viewers! It doesn’t matter if they are aspiring casters or esports athletes, they always need encouragement and support. We had a short segment when all the viewers’ encouragement to the people in esports were read during the stream.
We would like to shoutout to:
- Our partners, Singapore Esports Association and The Gym once again for providing the prizes and awesome stream respectively.
- Facilitators Xing Yong, Ian, Poh Jin, Damian, De Wei and Chuen Yew who volunteered their time to prepare and marshal the games.
- Casters Wilson “Sharmomi” Koo, Ernest “Kiseijuu” Chan, Chenkai “Fixers” Leow, Matthew “[email protected]” Lopez and Benedict “Memoria” Lee for stepping out of their comfort zones to help out in the casting.
- Special guests Sean “Hades” Goh, Treephob “Xyclopz” Tiangtrong and Litt Binn”WinteR” Chan who took out time from their busy schedules to share their experience and nuggets of wisdom to the gamers.
- and of course to our participants and viewers who made everything so fun!
Dates: 30 & 31 May (Group Stages) and 6 & 7 Jun 2020 (Semi and Finals)
Format: Round-Robin Best-of-1 for Group Stages and Single Elimination Best-of-Three for Semi and Finals
Registration Fee: Free of Charge
For more information: https://www.teletripgaming.com/events/sgplaystogether-dota-2-telematch/